Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mac and Cheese for One Please

It was one of those afternoons where there's no real food in the kitchen. I had some frozen chicken tenders, but I wasn't in the mood for those. I didn't want a sandwich, I didn't want this or that. I was feeling pretty restless.

My eyes fell upon some cheese in the refrigerator, and I thought to myself, "Man...I could kill for some homemade mac and cheese."

I only know how to make two kinds, one is a very involved casserole that requires a LOT more cheese than I had, bay leaves, onions and about 8 people to share it with. The other absolutely positively requires corn starch and garlic cheese. But I thought I'd combine the recipes... and it turned out lovely!

Here's what I did...

2 Tbsp of butter
less than half a cup of flour
less than half a cup of milk
1 tsp of worcestershire sauce
2 (or more) cups of grated cheddar cheese
1-2 cups of macaroni noodles

I boiled up the noodles. While they were cooking, I melted the butter in a small saucepan and added the flour, stirring until it was no longer lumpy. I wouldn't add all the flour at once, but I really have no clue how much I put in there except that it was less than 1/2 a cup. Pour in some milk until it has a texture you like. Add the grated cheese and turn the heat up. Stir constantly...and I mean CONSTANTLY until the cheese has melted. Add in the worcestershire.

The noodles should've already cooked now, and you'll want to drain those and let them sit in the drain pan.

Mix the noodles and cheese sauce, and you've got some fairly easy, fairly delicious macaroni and cheese.

Mine lasted for SEVERAL days thereafter. I paired it with a BBQ sandwich, had it for lunch two times, and dinner twice total.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

oooooo, that sounds so good! I'll have to try that receipe this week.